This project is read-only.

Project status for Mists of Pandaria?

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I figured I'd try to get a discussion going about the status of EnhSim for the next expansion. There hasn't been much of any discussion about Enhancement theorycrafting either here or on Elitist Jerks in some time now, and I just wanted to make sure that we still have enough people that are interested in keeping this simulator as accurate and as up-to-date as possible.

If I had to guess, I'd say we're potentially past the half-way mark for the MoP beta lifespan. Changes to our spec (and most other specs, other than monks') have slowed down somewhat dramatically since the initial series of beta build pushes, and I think we're at a point where we can assume that the majority of our intended mechanics aren't going to change significantly (i.e. we're probably in the "number tweaks" stage). As a result, it would probably be in our best interest to start modeling the mechanics that we're aware of and make any changes to the simulator necessary to accurately model our MoP priority queue decision-making.

To that end, I am willing to provide as much information from the MoP beta as is needed (if the project is still being maintained).

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I'm planning on starting back up on it for MoP.  I've let it sit idle for awhile since there wasn't any glaring issues with the sim for Cata, but I think things are stabilizing enough where the mechanics in MoP aren't going to be changing that much.  I'm thinking of focusing on getting the sim switched over to MoP mechanics at 85 first, and then start added in the level 90 abilities.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Alright. Let me know which mechanics you'd like to be tested and I'll do some grunt work.

One thing I've noticed about the live version of EnhSim is that it appears to be modeling haste's value strangely. This wasn't a big problem in Cataclysm, since everyone ignored haste values for the most part, but if it turns out to be a decent stat in MoP, then we might have to figure out what exactly is going wrong. Basically, at certain breakpoints, the simulator seems to think I'm suddenly doing a bunch of extra auto-attacks. I can open a ticket on the issue tracker if you want, but here's a graph that illustrates the discrepancy for the time being:

http://i.imgur.com/oqWul.png

(top graph is generated from SimC, bottom graph is generated from EnhSim).

As a side note, I'm sure you've noticed that activity on elitistjerks has taken something of a nosedive recently. I've been trying to organize an enhancement theorycrafting community over on totemspot, so you might be seeing more testing and number crunching over there if things go well.

Jul 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Edited Jul 4, 2012 at 5:54 AM

A little surprised to see the 5.0.1 annoucement, so MoP might be sooner than we think.  In any case, if you could focus on the 86 and above skill changes that would help out tremendously.  For example:

Unleashed Fury

• Is the increase for flametongue weapon a straight multiplictive effect separate from our mastery, or is the bonus additive to our mastery effect. 
  • For Windfury weapon, what is the ICD for triggering Static Shock?  Is the ICD for this separate than the normal static shock?  Is it also just a 45% proc chance on autoattacks like normal Static Shock?

Primal Elementalist

• What are the new abilities of Earth and Fire Elementals? 
  • What are thier cooldowns, etc

Elemental Blast

• What is the school of the intiial damage?  Is it effected by our mastery?
  • Is it a striaght 1/3rd chance for each of the stats, or is it skewed somehow?

Ascendance

• It seems pretty straightforward, but is their anything funky about it?   It looks to me just changing the damage from physical to nature, which means effected by mastery and ignores armor.  But does this skill also change how the scaling works for stormstrike?  Like for example, it's using spell crit rate for example. 

That's it to start with.

Jul 5, 2012 at 5:10 AM

Alright. I'll make tickets in the issue tracker for each topic so we can keep their mechanics testing separated and organized.

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Any news about development for 5.0.4 / MoP with 2 days left on patchday? You work is very much appreciated.

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:43 AM

Hi there.  I would also like to know what the status on EnhSim for MoP is currently (specifically the expansion, not so much just 5.0.4).  I'm a long-time user of EnhSim and very much appreciate all the crazy hard work you guys do that goes into the program.  Especially considering Simcraft can be very complicated and tedious.  Any news would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Hey there,

are there any news on the project continuation? As MoP is now there for a few weeks, i am wondering if I should still hope for a new version of enhsim or if i should change to other tools (that are not half as great as enhsim!!). I simmed everything during WotLK and Cata and it would be very very sad if this project has ended. I admire the work you guys did for the community very much!

Thank you very much and i hope there will be something new to tell us.